Sunday, January 19, 2014

Another Boston - city and surroundings

It looks like nothing extraordinary had happened for recent time; however each day still brings its surprises. I used to write reviews of my fresh impressions, but now I think I'll try to shorten them. Wednesday was a crazy day, that's my second one. My institute's program requires seven classes per week, four of them are scheduled on Wednesday. Honestly, Monday now is the middle of the weekend, and Wednesday is Monday. When I registered for classes I could see which day of the week they take place and who will be the professor, but then I was too nervous to pay attention on such a detail. Now, of course, I regret and think that I would better have changed my choice. Not only because of time, but because of professors too. Well, I'll tell about my professors later. Let's return to last Wednesday.
Life, where are you going? That day I had a big race: all four lectures, from quarter to noon to ten in the evening, were in different locations. The first one, English, was at downtown. I took subway and got off at Boylston station. There were two rare subway cars, which stood there all the time. They were partly covered with huge pieces of tarpaulin. It was strange why did they covered the trams, but I didn't paid a lot of attention on it. Covered and covered. Until I saw that day's Metro newspaper.
Between second and third lectures I had to come home to drop one bag of books (which feel like bricks when you carry them) and take another, eat something and rush to the third lecture. I took the subway. On my branch trams run under the ground in downtown area and go up to the street level right before arriving to the station where my institute is located. There I caught one and took a ride in the outbound direction, where I live. When I got out from the tram, I saw a huge-store building with trees in the yard. Children were running towards it. I suppose there is a kindergarten, what is very unusual.
I knew there are kindergartens in such a houses, but usually they are built in separate two- or three store buildings, not to disturb and not to be disturbed by other people living in it. Most children love noisy games, while most tenants love the opposite atmosphere. So I think it's not a good idea to locate a kindergarten and a block of flats in one building.
When at home, just before I grabbed all the necessary material and was ready to go, I saw a beautiful light coming from the end of corridor. The sun was falling behind the horizon.
That evening all the city was covered with this color and calm pink light. It really calmed me a little bit, as I was, as usual, in a crazy rush. Here is some of that light I can share with you now:

My Anatomy and Physiology professor is an amazing person. Everybody is talented in something, and so she is. She can say a lot without telling actually anything. Here's an example. Before the lecture begins, the presentation, which will be shown during the lecture, is available online. I decided to hold an experiment: before the lecture I learned everything (well, I mean, not 100%but the win points) that was in that presentation, and went there. During the lecture I listened to the professor with great attention, though I was sitting on the back row. She said one sentence. It was clear and obvious. She said another clear and obvious sentence. I forgot what the first one was about, so I decided to write down. After the lecture, when reviewing my notes, I realized that it was the explanation of the presentation, which was itself as clear as daylight. Well, that's the person. She, better to say, intonation of her voice and the way she speaks, reminds me of another professor, who was not as successful.
No, don't think that about my dirty fantasies, that's not it. Just a quick association and the explanation why I could not help laughing when reviewing my notes… Believe me, her intonation, if you don't listen carefully, is the same as in this 2009 Das Bo Schitt's famous cartoon. Anyways…
At eight o'clock lecture was over and two more hours of lab were waiting for me. When leaving the auditorium I took some snaps from the window.

I love sceneries from heights, but the reflection of the classroom spoils everything. On the lab we studied human skull. There were wonderful plastic models of it, which could be opened and seen from the inside, but there was one real human skull, which, as professor said, costed around $10000 or $100000, I don't remember exactly. As it was so expensive, it was covered with a special glass thing. Tell me, why do they need it there? Plastic models are perfect, pictures it textbooks are too, but the real one you can't touch or even breathe on it. With a sense of respect to a Man who left his body to science I post this picture.
Our group finished half an hour earlier. When leaving the seven-store laboratory building, I noticed how beautiful trees with electric garlands looked at night.
Boston is a beautiful city. I will post a lot of night panoramic shots, they are great.
When I came home, I was not so tired as at the end of classes. Looks like a straw affected me in a good way. Climbing up on the third floor I could not skip the antique gas lamp, which now doesn't working. Or probably it's working, better not to try. The house is over a hundred years of age. I love such a buildings, they have their specific atmosphere.
I have only one short Algebra class on Thursday, it takes only one hour, but it's important for me. I knew I will have to get up early, but I could not fall asleep until late at night. After one o'clock I looked out of the window and saw a mysterious fog outside. I got out of bed and went to the balcony to see it closer. It was very creepy, I had a feeling of somebody watching me. When I turned the camera on to take some pictures of a fog, it began taking shots, one after another, and could not stop.
 I was really scared. I am originally afraid of darkness since early childhood, and there I also had that unpleasant situation with camera.
 You imagine how it feels. One of the windows of my room is faced to balcony, so from there I could see my room, as I didn't turned the lights off there the windows were bright.
There was an article in yesterday's Metro which I have already written about. Thursday morning when rushing to my classes I got off the train at Boylston station, and both of those cars were clean and all right. Honestly. T's employees did a great job wiping the graffiti off. Here are the pictures:
 Sorry for the quality of the image and for the fence. There was no chance to take another picture and moreover I was in a rush, so here's what I got:
Some more Boston's urban arrays, captured on my way from Algebra class.
Boston Common and Park street station. As I learned from the posters there, it's the oldest America's subway station, opened its doors for passengers on September 1, 1897.
As I walked along Tremont street, I saw the only thing that could attract my sight - cookies.
It was the Arianna shop (never heard about it before), and when a shop assistant saw me staring at the window, she came out and told me it was soap.
I wondered: the pieces looked exactly like cookies and pies. She invited me in and started suggesting to buy different creams, bases, soaps and other rubbish, affirming me that they are so good for my skin that if I will use this and that it will become soft as baby's. And the student discounts were almost over that day!
When returning home, I saw a smoke coming from that high building.
It was the building I wrote about, with a kindergarten on the first floor. They probably have a canteen there, and the stuff was cooking something delicious…
In my house there is an old kitchen stove which my landlord wants to get rid of. I love the clock on its top, very lovely domestic design thing.
I recently noticed that all the downtown area, with Prudential center and other famous buildings, can be seen from my balcony, the one where I was taking pictures at night.
Friday was calm. I took another stroll at downtown, sat down for a cup of cappuccino, relaxed, learned something from my course books. It was pretty warm, so I decided to sit down on a bench in front of Boston Public library for the cappuccino, read a newspaper and watch the skateboarders training in the place that used to be a fountain pool in summer. Nice weather!
I decided to go home on foot. That's the place at Northeastern university, where trains get out of their anthill and become streetcars.
Only there, not to get down under the ground, I took a train. It was the last day to return books, so I decided to return one for sixty dollars, and went home to get it. Inside the car I noticed the manufacture date on the glass. It's as old as I am!
Around Brigham Circle area, the streetlights were not switched off. In this picture one shining lantern looks very nice together with Sun.
I returned home, took the book (it was a writer's manual with English grammar, I have a lot this kind of books so I decided to get rid of it, sixty dollars is a huge deal for me) and went back to Northeastern to hand this book and buy another for $140. As I wrote before, most of my money I spend on academic books. when I came to a bookstore I was sent to an office where the withdrawal was accepted, but even adding sixty bucks to the money I had, there were still seven dollars needed to buy a book. So I had to go to citibank threw Fenway park.
I was forewarned about the danger of Fenway at night. When I read Northeastern students' advices fro freshmen, they wrote about it, so it was not as comfortable to walk there with amount of cash.
Fortunately I saw a police car standing near that alley, and felt safer. There were also some people still walking there, and it was not as dark. When I entered a living district, there was a bright garage entrance in one house, with colorful garland decorations.
When I turned the corner, there was another entrance to lower level, and I discovered that it was a taxi parking place. Taxi drivers were arguing about a broken car there.
When returning back, I saw a lot of steam coming out of the ground. Probably it's a cloaca (have a nice appetite!), very common scene at Manhattan.
 Another night shot from the parking lot
The light in the window of a building in the window is not a reflection of my super flash, just a lantern standing there.
I also took these shots of Prudential and surrounding buildings.
Looks much better with closer zoom:
To conclude, here are two more Friday night shots from mid-Huntington avenue area

No comments:

Post a Comment