Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Buckwheat, omelet of green eggs, electric sakura, rice ingredients, white birch firewood, value of health and another children's death

How relaxing it is to share your thoughts at the end of the day, in bed, drinking hot tea with honey, very hard thoughts actually… a little later about that.
I was free from classes today, so I decided to veg out, accumulate necessary energy for tomorrow and do something useful at the same time. I decided to cook, so let me begin with something delicious for today. It's a buckwheat. As I discovered recently, a lot of people know about it but very few tried. It's popular as a flour, but I buy it in grains and then make porridge of it. And that was my main problem, to find it in this form. I asked my landlord and he told me that there definitely is some in Wholes Food Market, so I headed there. On my way I saw an unusually designed Japanese restaurant with stairs going down the street and beautiful electric sakura standing there.
After the sakura, I walked past a medical institute, probably Longwood, I don't know, and saw there a bicycle enchained to a parking payment pillar. "What a fool" - I thought and laughed. Who can you be not to understand the purpose of payment pillars. The one who did it did not even realize that his bike will be taken away immediately after the police officer will see it, and he will have to pay fine, and surcharge, and this, and that. Only after taking a picture and downloading it on my computer I noticed the inscription on the wall behind. "To achieve the best possible condition of health is one of the main rights of a man". Who could only think? Though, about another Captain Obviousness's notes I will write more. Now let's return to a buckwheat.
At whole foods, I saw a strange good being sold outside - white birch as a firewood. I mean, it's strange that it was sold in the supermarket, I never noticed before. Grandpa always says that a birch is perfect flame maker, but to sell it… well, it's a good idea. But eight bucks for a package too much, I suppose.
In the supermarket another wonder of the World was waiting for me. As I promised before, Captain Obviousness returns. I came in and saw a lot of food there on smorgasbord, boxes to fill, forks, spoons, knives, salt, pepper, etceteras. I was hungry so I decided to see if it's cheaper or not to have dinners at Whole Foods. When I reached the smorgasbord, I saw a huge hot pan. I read the sticker on its cap and burst out laughing. Who could think what brown rice can contain. You never know…

One of the most delicious courses I ever tasted in my life is a buckwheat porridge with milk and sugar. I loved it since I was at kindergarten, and my Granny always cooks it for me and our family. It is incredibly delicious and so easy to cook. Let me tell you how. First, take usual buckwheat grain, it looks like this on the image:
Once you buy, you must keep it, as Grandma always says, on the outside balcony, which is the best place for it, or in the fridge, so maggots will have no chance to survive in it because of low temperature. I don't know how, those little disgusting baby flies find their way to everything you can imagine, even chocolate if kept indoors. I think, the only thing you can keep inside your house is salt. No living organism will definitely not survive in it. Buckwheat grains are usually kept in bags, but boxes are acceptable too. The main request is a dry place.
Now, how to cook it. First of all, after unpacking the bag, you should make sure there are no outsider objects like other hard grains or small stones. People who don't do that break their teeth very often, so be careful and look for black objects in grain thoroughly. Then, place it in bucket or any other ladle and wash it. Pour some water in it, mix by your hand or spoon, and pour the water out. Then pour the water from the tap once more, so the level of the water is three - four centimeters higher than the level of the grain. Place it on the fire and wait until the water boils. Close the ladle with lid leaving a small gap, and cook for approximately fifteen - twenty minutes. If the porridge looks like this, it is ready to be eaten.
I would suggest to add some warm milk and sugar, and mix it. Tastes heavenly.
Another thing I cooked for breakfast today is an omelet. When in New York, I bought at the supermarket six strange color eggs. They were as green as grass, but ordinary chicken eggs. To compare, here is a picture of them in my fridge with one usual egg to compare with:
I cooked and tasted them. Feels just like usual eggs, nothing strange but a color. I think I have probably even seen them somewhere before, but don't remember where it was. And today I finally decided to cook an omelet. Here's what I got:
It's extremely easy to cook an omelet. First take a pan, start a slow fire on the stove,  put some olive oil on it (and not only olive is good, any oil is okay; it's important not to pour to much oil and at the same time don't be greedy, oil should cover all the surface of the bottom of the pan after you tilt it a couple times), and put the pan on the stove so it will warm up. Break two or three eggs, pour the inside on the pan and gently mix so that whites and cores of eggs will become a homogeneous liquid. Now quickly put anything you like there: meat, mushrooms, salad, cheese, anything. You'll see when the omelet is well done.
The omelet, I swear, was really tasty. When eating it, I decided to continue reading the Boston Globe which I bought today at Starbucks. Well, what can I say? I knew that there's no limit for human's stupidity, and that it can always cause the irreparable, but… Well, read first:
That's only the cover. Here's more:
and nobody to respond, except the company which makes chests. Such a passionate chimney sweeper  soccer fan, their daddy. Mum, who was not AT home (interesting where she was - there's nothing about it!). And it's interesting what are they are sad about now. When I read it, I felt like somebody was pushing in my mind the feeling about the company and how terrible it was of them to manufacture those deadly chests and how poor the parents are after losing their children forever. So should we ban chests, stoves, knives, electricity, fire and make everything soft like in loony bin, or should we do something with all-knowing best parents ever, who aways find their children injured. "Nice, really engaged, beautiful, great hard-working family, who did all for their children (I see)". What a words! By the way, how many children there were? Five? Interesting. How old were the parents? I bet they were both after forty five. What about the income? Landlord?! Like you won't find any criticism about Barack Obama and his policy in the news, here somebody tells me who is good and who is not. Please think about it. Today's Metro published a single small grey article on page someteen. But at least nobody is blamed there.

P.S. "Their mother, Gillian Munroe, was not home." I'm glad she wasn't. Hopefully she was a human being.
That's all for today. Hope you liked my review, get high, stay delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment